Wednesday, February 9, 2011

about artichokes and challenges

"Guess what? I've bought artichokes!"
"Huh?", my colleague looked puzzled. "Yeah, and I bought carrots and tomatoes yesterday, so what?", she mocked at me.
"I bought artichokes for the first time in my life. And today the first time in my life I will be cooking them."

I know, not a huge event, after all, but isn't it always exciting to do something for the first time? It´s been a while since I was considering doubfully that stall of artichokes outside the fuit store nearby but I never deared to deal with them. In person.
So, I finally accepted the challenge. I don't think I even held an artichoke in my hands before and liked its think arched scales, the texture, the pattern they form together...but how in the world is one supposed to cook this thing??
Anyway, I did prepare them 'alla italiana' and, which is more important, the dish was gladly finished, so I guess I can consider it a success.





oh and by the way, I was surprised to discover that an artichoke is a FLOWER which when blossoming looks like a giant thistle :)




No comments:

Post a Comment